top of page

Framework

Patching & Sealing the floor


Due to having an older bus, there were a lot of corrosion holes in the metal floor. We needed to be certain that these holes would not get bigger or lead to water coming into the bus and ruining our floor. Our first step was to clean the floor the best we could by sanding down all of the corrosion and rust spots and then vacuuming out all of the loose dirt. We decided to patch the holes with Flex Seal tape and quickly realized that our expensive 5 foot roll would not cover all of the holes. We then resulted to using duct tape and masking

tape (we don't recommend the masking tape) to patch the remaining smaller holes. By the time we were done our floor had about 100 pieces of mismatching tape everywhere. We were very ready to say goodbye to the nasty rusted floor and begin installing our new floor.



Once our floor was covered in tape, we needed to seal it all into place. We used Flex Seal paint to coat the entire floor of the bus. We focused on layering up a lot of paint along the edges and seams of the floor where the sheet metal overlapped. This sealant will ideally keep out any water or moisture that could come in from under the bus. We will also be spraying the under side of the bus with an undercoating spray as an additional preventative measure.


Framing

The sheet metal floor of the bus was very weak, and our dozens of holes in the ground didn't help. Before we could lay down a subfloor, we needed to create a supportive framework that could handle the weight of the subfloor and the rest of the build. We bought several 2x4 planks of wood and did our best to create frames that lined up with the support beams under the bus for maximum support. We also left large gaps in the frame that we could then fill with foam board insulation. It's important to us to insulate the bus the best that we can without compromising on height in the bus, so being able to insulate between our framework was a perfect solution.


Subfloor and Flooring

Laying our subfloor was a pretty straight forward process. We made sure to insulate in the space we had under the wheel wells and we taped off where we planned for our "furniture" to go so we could further envision the space that we would have. It was exciting to lay down our tongue-and-groove flooring and start to finalizing the look. We were able to get free left over flooring from a friend since we didn't have a lot of surface area to cover. The flooring ends right where our bed will start, allowing for the subfloor under the bed to act as a garage type space for our outdoor equipment.


Ceiling

The ceiling is one of our favorite additions to the build. We decided to leave the original ceiling and insulation in the bus due to our short time frame, however we wanted our ceiling to have a more rustic look instead of the original sheet metal. One of our primary goals is to be as sustainable and budgeted as possible, so we decided to make our ceiling out of recycled pallet wood.

It was a long process of collecting pallets, tearing them apart, sawing and sanding each piece, and lastly staining them all with leftover stains we had from other projects. Imperfect wood makes for an imperfect ceiling, but we love how it turned out and that we could repurpose wood that would have been trash.


Related Posts

Comments


bottom of page